How to install windows on mac without bootcamp

I love my old professional MacBook. For a lightweight coding, writing and daily editing tool, it does everything I want. Since 2012, I've had it, and it's going strong.


Yet Apple no longer wants to support it. I'm stuck with High Sierra macOS, with no option to upgrade without some shadowy patches. Even though I could keep up with Mojave and beyond, the hardware may no longer be fast enough to give me a pleasant experience.



Then I thought, maybe I'm going to put a new hard drive in another old laptop and install Windows 10 there. The preferred approach for Apple is to do all this from macOS, using its own software for Bootcamp. Being the hacker I am, however, I thought I could try the "Windows Only" experience.

We need the following materials for this experiment:

  •  a new hard drive, preferably an SSD, 
  • a bootable Windows Boot Drive ur USB Sick (can be generated using the Windows Media Creation Tool
  • a Mac with an Ethernet port and a wired Internet Ethernet link
I started by switching out an old hard disk from another laptop in which I was lying, and see if this experiment worked in theory. I didn't want to touch upon my current High Sierra system. If my Windows 10 mistake weren't going to be successful, I'd have something to jiffy back into.
The old hard drive came from a Samsung Q330 laptop, on which I installed CentOS 7. To my complete surprise, CentOS 7 has booted on Mac hardware just fine. Even those awkward "special" keys, like volume, display, and keyboard dimming, worked out of the box. I was very surprised, and almost sad to replace Windows with CentOS.